What do I need to teach online?
Most people do not know what’s needed to begin their online teaching career, so what exactly do I need to teach online?
How I began
Being a PA for over 16 years I was retrenched. I then started working for a factory which manufactured tape products, running the wages, debtors and creditors, stock control, product wastage, site management and so forth, 6 months down the line the company was forced to shut down for reasons I cannot disclose and 80 employees lost their jobs. We all know jobs are difficult to come by especially jobs which pay well. So whilst job hunting one of my friends told me about teaching online. I decided to look into it and find out “What do I need to teach online from home”? and get qualified as quickly as possible. What I really liked about this idea is that it would give me the opportunity to work from home and be with my kids.
Whatever it may be, teaching English online is making this possible for thousands of people around the world – and it’s here to stay! But before you embrace a pants-less work environment, make sure you have the basic qualifications to teach English online covered!
I fully believe that good money can be made online whatever your niche and teaching online from home has been my first steps into achieving these goals. I have been a teacher working from home since June 2016 with iTutor Group and a few other companies.
I am a Senior Consultant (SC) with over 1000 hours of teaching. I teach students from the age of 5 up to adult, some being pensioners 65+ years old, LVP sessions (level placement level 1-12) as well as recruiting and interviewing new potential teachers.
A Senior consultant (SC) is someone who has:
- Successfully taught more than 1,000 session hours to-date with a commendable performance
- Those maintaining a 9.5 average rating (Please note the average rating mentioned here includes ALL ratings a consultant has received) in the most recent 200 session hours taught
- With less than a 3% low ratings ratio in the most recent 200 session hours taught
- In possession of a TESOL certificate or its equivalent
Simple International is also seeking teachers thier requirements are different you can apply and find out more here.
Once you know what do I need to teach online this gives teachers the opportunity to work from almost anywhere in the world. My main reason why I work online is that it gives me flexibility in my schedule and to work from home.
So today I am going to give you all the insight what do I need to teach online English or any other subjects from the comfort of your own home.
What do I need to teach online?
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS with what do I need to teach online
- Windows 7/8 (latest service packs) Intel Core 2 Duo / Pentium G series or above CPU AMD Athlon 64×2 4400+ or above CPU.
- 2 GB RAM. Broadband Internet connection by Ethernet cable. 1280×1024 minimum resolution.
- HD capable Webcam.
- As mobile apps evolve and are becoming popular there are a number of online schools which work via an app-based platform in which your cell phone or an iPad may be used. Make sure that you check whether the school is app or PC based you don’t want to apply and later find out that your mobile or tablet is not efficient.
- Analog or USB Headset (Microsoft lifeChat LX-3000 preferred) It is advised that you have a swivel mic. Do yourself a favor and invest in a good quality headset the cheap ones just don’t do the job and they pick up a lot of static noise which is heard in class by the students. My husband bought me a great ripper gaming headset and it was well worth the money spent.
These are also great headsets to use with a 4/5 rating:
Send clear messages to your gaming teammates via the microphone.
Professional design provides a great experience. 40mm Hi-Fi driver allows you to experience clear sounds while playing games.
Works on PS4 / X box one /PC / Mac / iPhone / Smart phone.
Equipped with a comfortable headband which reduces pressure for the best comfort and fit even during long gaming sessions.
– Loudhailer diameter: 50mm
– Frequency range: 20~20.000Hz
– Sensitivity: 115±3db at 1khz
– Impedance: 32 Ohm at 1khz
– Max Power: 20mW
– Sensitivity Mic:-32db±3db
– Frequency Range of Mic : 50-10Khz
– Mic Impedance: 2.2 Omega at 1khz
– Headset cable length: A
These headphones has cushioned ear pads for extra comfort and now with microphone. It works with most devices with a 3.5mm jack. These would be great as a back up set for emergencies.
MINIMUM BROWSER REQUIREMENTS
- Chrome Version 40 or above
- FireFox Version 30 or above
- Safari Version 9 or above
- IEVersion 10 or above
Note that with most online teaching platforms companies prefer you to use Chrome
TESOL/TEFL Certification (or its equivalent) required
Enthusiastic and professional
Great communication and presentation skills
Ability to motivate students
Bachelor’s degree or higher in any field
Minimum of 1 year teaching experience
Being a native or fluent English speaker is a key part of teaching English online, but that alone does not qualify just anyone to take charge of a student’s future with the English language. Online language schools typically require their English teachers to hold a legitimate (accredited) TEFOL Certification so that they know what training and skills a prospective English teacher possess.
There are many online courses available for you to obtain your TEFOL certification in Global Language Training. Subject to availability you can get a major discount on Hyperli make sure to read the fine print as some require you to complete the course within 3-6 months should you need a time extension this is available at an extra cost if needed.
While this is not always a mandatory requirement, alothough most of China has now implimented the neccessaty of a Bachelor Degree you will find that the majority of the reputable teach English online employers require that all their teachers hold a BA. Even if your degree is unrelated to education your degree can be in any field or subject – Marketing, Arts, Computer Science, Civil Law etc.
You will need a fast Internet connection to teach English online. Most online employers require a wired connection (instead of WiFi) as this is more stable. The majority of companies have a required upload and download speed. Make sure to check their speed requirements before applying.
Your upload speed is their main concern, you don’t want to lose connection during a session, should you not reconnect to the session within a certain about of time this will result in you being switched and not paid for the session and a possible penalty. Make sure that you have a good enough upload speed when choosing your internet service provider. I would advise that your upload be a minimum of 4 mpbs. You can check your internet speed here.
* Flexible Schedule Set your own schedule and hours, so you can spend your free time on things that matter.
* Work From Home Meet great people from different cultures and career backgrounds, get inspired in adult classes; Have fun and make friends with talented children and teenagers in Jr classes.
* Rates This depends on what the company is offering. Your payment will include a base rate and a performance bonus. The performance bonus will be based on student ratings, which can reflect your teaching skills directly on your payment.
- Junior (Ages 5~18)
- Preschool or kindergarten students
- Elementary students
- Adult (Ages 18+)
- University students
- Working professionals or managers
- Parents or retired workers
Most companies provide the teaching material which you can view within an hour of the class starting and it will be your responsibility to go through the material and prepare your props and so forth for the lesson. If you are a freelance teacher there are many resources online where you can download, print or purchase lesson plans. You can find ESL teaching material here.
For props, you could use items around the house, your kid’s toys or even make your own if you’re a crafty type of person. Search on Google and you will find unlimited resources you can download, print and use.
A great tool I highly recommend is Manycam. All you need is a green screen or a plain piece of material behind you. Manycam is FREE to download and there are 1000s of props, you can search for and download as much as you like, you can even create your own if you cannot find what you are looking for.
You can change your background by making use of the Chroma key although the Chroma key setting is only available on the paid version. I use the FREE version and it works just fine for me.
It allows you to have fun and be creative in your sessions, both my JR and Adult students love it when I use Manycam it allows them to feel more relaxed, helps shy students engage and participate more as well as bringing humor to the class. While using Manycam you are also having fun in the session which brings out your enthusiasm, keeps your students happy and also helps improve your ratings thus increasing your bonuses which means better pay. It’s a win-win everyone is happy.
Prop’s would be the following:
- Flash Cards: School Zone – Reading Flash Cards 4-Pack – Ages 4 and Up, Short and Long Vowel Sounds, Combination Sounds, Rhyming, and More (Flash Card 4-pk)
- White Board: Magnetic 11’’ x 14’’ Dry Erase Whiteboard. Includes 6 Magnetic Dry Erase Markers, Assorted Colors. Great for Fridge, Locker, and More!
- Puppets and Plush Toys: 28 Piece Mini Plush Animal Toy Set, Cute Small Animals Plush Keychain Decoration for Themed Parties, Kindergarten Gift Giveaway, Teacher Student Award, Goody Bags Filler For Boys Girls Child Kid
- Bedtime Originals Choo Choo Express Plush Elephant – Humphrey
- Fun Express Plush Happy Kids Hand Puppets Multi-Ethnic Collection Novelty (Set of 8)
- Melissa & Doug Safari Buddies Hand Puppets Puppet Set (6 Hand Puppets)
https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/ to check your time zone for classes.
Click here for the list of non-native online English teaching companies
Here for the list of online Spanish teaching companies
The list of companies that are definitely hiring now.
Teaching Online Opportunities
Home-based online teaching Jobs
“Get Well Paid Teaching From Home, The Beach Or Your Vacation Hideaway”
- Enjoy large paychecks just for sharing your knowledge with others.
- Work from the comfort of your own home.
- Explode your income by combining several jobs.
- Receive regular payments via Western Union, wire or PayPal.
- Get paid in US dollars or your own local currency.
Benefits of Teaching/Tutoring Online:
- $30-$50 per hour teaching online classes
- $15-$25 per hour tutoring online
- Earn up to $500 per month per student
- No experience required on minor subjects
- Work as much or as little as you want
- Set your own working schedule!
- Teach or tutor no matter where you are in the world!
- Fast and easy payments via Paypal, Online Check or Wire Transfer (Wire transfer fee applies)
Discover the best online teaching jobs
- 3D Printing
- Business Services
- Change Management
- Computer Basics
- English for Teaching
- English Speaking Skills
- Food Safety
- Global Health Initiative
- Health and Safety
- Human Nutrition
- Management Professionals
- Math (Tutorat A+ Tutoring review-Where the Goal is an A+)
- Study Skills
- Teaching and Training Professionals
- Workplace Safety
Choose your profession
- App Development
- Care Provision
- Construction Skills
- E-Business and Marketing Professionals
- English for Tourism
- Entrepreneurial Skills
- Health Management
- Human Resources
- Job Search Skills
- Mental Health Studies
- Nursing Studies
- Quality Management
- Six Sigma
- Spanish Language Skills
- Supply Chain Management
Start your journey
- Accounting & Finance Professionals
- Career Development
- Childcare Studies
- Customer Service
- English Diplomas
- English Grammar
- Health & Healthcare Professionals
- Information Technology
- Law and Legal Skills
- Marketing and Sales
- Microsoft Office
- Office Skills
- Project Management
- Risk Management
- Social Media Techniques
Have fun teaching what you love
- Business Communication Skills
- Chinese Language Studies
- Digital Creative Design
- Electrical Engineering
- English for Business
- English Literature
- Health and Fitness
- Hospitality Management
- Masonry Skills
- Multimedia Technology
- Operations Management
- Social Media
- Project Maths
- Sales Management
- Social Work Skills
- Strategic Management
- Teacher Resources
- Web Development
- And many more!
I hope you enjoyed this article. If you have any questions please leave your comments below.
To your success in Online Teaching